Blues on Saturday afternoon at the Ironwood

I had a relatively quiet day today. I had a fairly late night just round the corner at the King Henry VIII pub on 8th Avenue - a little reward for myself for completing all my assignment grading yesterday. So I got up late and then had to collect a pair of mountaineering boots from the outdoor centre on campus.

Mid-afternoon I walked East down 9th Avenue to the IronWood Stage & Grill, about 10 blocks from my place, for the fortnightly Blues Jam session.  My new friends, Bob and Susan have a daughter, Jaime, who is the head chef at the IronWood.   I meant to go two weeks ago, but never made it.  Jaime told me I had to try the steak sandwich.  It was more than pub grub - a truly excellent piece of rare meat with garlic Portobello mushrooms and onion and chipped potato and a wonderful Mexican black-bean soup.  The owner, Patrick, wasn't in this afternoon. Patrick used tobe the manager at King Henry's. Now he apples his decade of experience booking bands and running a bar to his own profit and fun. And he can take some occasional days off.

I really like the character of drinking and dining establishments in Calgary. All that I've visited (not that I'm trying to do the rounds of all pubs in the city, really) seem to be comfortable and casual and friendly. People do their jobs with speed and efficiency but seem to always take a few moments to chat. If you've been more than a couple of times then you get to know the names of staff and they know yours. I guess that's a real benefit of a tipping culture - real service becomes valued and rewarded.

The blues band was excellent too. They were assisted by several of the audience who came up to jam with the band, or take over as needed. A couple of outstanding amateur guitarists and drummers by were on stage when I came in at about 4:30pm. It was all over by about 6:30. Another banc is setting up right now but I got home shortly after 7:00. I have to get to bed early ready for a big day tomorrow at Kananaskis National Park.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paragliding Rainbow Beach

Charles has arrived

Paragliding Beechmont